The Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre (JHCC) is a major site with Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS). The JHCC serves as the Hamilton, Niagara, Haldimand, Brant Regional Cancer Centre and provides specialized oncology care including diagnostics and systemic, radiation, surgical and cellular therapies. The JHCC is a major site for orthopedic surgery and includes a large Arthroplasty Program. The JHCC is also a site that serves the needs of the local community through its Emergency Department and in providing adult medical, surgical and critical care.
As an academic health science center, the JHCC is actively involved in educating and mentoring the next generation of healthcare providers. Through affiliations with McMaster University and in particular the Escarpment Cancer Research Institute, a joint HHS/ McMaster University research institute, cancer research is also conducted in the core areas of translational, clinical, and health services research.
Working under the direction of the Vice President, Oncology and Palliative Care, the Director, in partnership with associated medical and interprofessional practice leads, is responsible for overseeing operations including clinical planning, quality patient care and service, clinical operational and financial efficiency, team development and ensuring an educational and research environment for the Program. The Director provides visionary leadership in the development of the program; liaising and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders so that program activities are aligned with the organizations strategic plan; establishing and representing the global overview of the program through sound and influential decision-making and achievement of the approved strategic and operational plans. Additionally, the Director is accountable for human resource and fiscal management in partnership with the program's management team.
Areas of responsibility include consultation and follow up for patients requiring general surgery and surgical oncology expertise. As a Regional Cancer Center, the JHCC provides services for all adult patients with cancer, including serving as a regional surgical referral center for patients with sarcoma, gynecologic cancers and hepatobiliary cancer. The role also includes responsibility for oversight of a dedicated ward for patients with solid tumour malignancies. In addition, there is an important role in cancer diagnostics with oversight of the JHCC’s Breast Assessment Centre and Colposcopy Unit.
In addition to roles in Oncology, the Director will oversee a large Orthopedic Program that includes an inpatient unit, a comprehensive Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Program and Fracture Clinics at the JHCC and the Hamilton General Hospital Site of HHS.
Schedule Work Hours
Monday to Friday; days
1. Master’s Degree
2. Previous (5 to 7 years) progressive leadership experience
3. Past clinical experience in a relevant health related field
4. Demonstrated ability to lead an environment that supports clinical excellence, continuous learning, innovation and research
5. Demonstrated effective strategic, analytical and decision making abilities
6. Previous experience in strategic program development
7. Demonstrated excellence in communication, team building and the ability to initiate and model positive change
8. Demonstrated ability to work independently or with a team to create solutions to challenging problems
9. Proven track record at the management level of supporting teamwork, decision-making and problem solving in highly complex, multi-stakeholder situations
10. Proven ability to build and execute on strategy, balance and set priorities, and navigate through complex systems
11. Demonstrated financial and business acumen
12. High level ability to critically analyze situations as well as data/information in both daily operations and long term strategic planning
13. Demonstrated scholarly and/or professional activity
Salary: $70.83 - $90.81
Please apply through the HHS Careers website, posting 87394.