Full Time Temporary
Salary Range: $28.26 - $30.67
Length Of Temporary Assignment: Until January 22nd, 2021
Shift/ Hours Of Work:All Shifts: 12 hour shifts; Days and Nights
At St Joseph’s Health Centre Toronto, everything we do is aimed at living our mission and achieving our vision of advancing the health of our community by being Canada’s best community teaching Health Centre. This means we are committed to delivering exceptional experiences, shaping care through teaching and education, and providing seamless services for patients.
A Catholic hospital fully accredited with exemplary standing by Accreditation Canada, St. Joe’s Toronto is fortunate to be home to an entire community of people who live our values and mission every day — the staff, physicians, volunteers and students — that our patients and families will get to know during their experiences with us.
Working here means more than having a job; it means being part of a community where each and every member of our team is recognized and appreciated.
Working on 3M Medicine, the RPN will function to the full scope of College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Practical Nurses. The RPN will provide high quality nursing care for a variety of medicine patients within an Interprofessional Collaborative Practice philosophy and Model of Care. This is an exciting time for the 3M team as we are currently expanding our units to accommodate more patients and in doing so we are also taking the opportunity to shape how we deliver care for our patients. The team works collectively to ensure the best possible care is provided, reduce adverse events and implement new strategies on how to proactively keep patients and staff safe. This is a great opportunity to shape how care is delivered and challenge previously conceived norms within healthcare.
The RPN works within a changing environment and in inter-professional teams to advocate for and promote wellness while ensuring the delivery of safe, effective and ethical nursing care. The RPN shares his/her knowledge and expertise with others and contributes to the advancement of nursing practice excellence. The RN continually enhances his/her practice and competencies through ongoing learning, education, experience and reflective practice.
The primary role of the RPN is to provide holistic, evidence-based, culturally appropriate, patient-centred quality care in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards and Unity Health Toronto’s mission, vision, values and policies. The RPN optimizes the patient’s experience and care outcomes by:
The RPN has 4 key areas of responsibility:
Collaboration & Coordination
Leadership & Professional Development
1. Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program.
2. Current BLS/CPR certificate required.
3. Coronary Care I or equivalent required or in progress.
4. Coronary Care II or equivalent required within 6 months of hire.
5. Currently registered as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
6. Recent acute inpatient medicine clinical experience required. Candidates without this experience may be considered if there are no other internal or external qualified candidates.
7. Recent experience with cardiac/respiratory patients and telemetry preferred.
8. Demonstrated clinical competence with general medicine nursing skills.
9. Excellent physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
10. Demonstrated understanding and commitment to patient and family-centred care.
11. Demonstrated history of initiating and supporting organizational change and improvement inititiatives.
12. Demonstrated ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
13. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
14. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and families.
15. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and learning.
16. Excellent computer skills.
17. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within an interprofessional team as well as independently.
Our Vision is to be Canada's Best Community Teaching Hospital.
St.Joseph’s Health Centre (SJHC) is a dynamic downtown community teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and located in a picturesque location overlooking Lake Ontario and adjacent to High Park.
As a community teaching hospital, the health care professionals of St. Joseph’s Health Centre are committed to providing the highest quality of patient, family and community focused health care services. We are there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We serve a community of 500,000 people and while the majority of our patients come from within our catchment area, St. Joe’s treats people from across the city, province, and country. St. Joe’s Health Centre’s staff includes over 900 nurses, 400 physicians, and 250 volunteers. Each year we have over 200,000 ambulatory patient visits, 85,000 emergency patient visits, 20,000 inpatient admissions, 3,400 births and 24,000 surgical cases.
Working here means more than having a job. At St. Joseph’s Health Centre, we are committed to fostering a health community for all and dedicated to being the best community teaching hospital in Canada. At the forefront of dynamic changes within the healthcare industry, we are a community of staff, volunteers, and physicians working together in a climate of mutual support that enables healing and the fulfillment of human potential.