We are seeking an innovative leader who can work in collaboration to advance our research, quality and academic missions into the future.
Reporting to the President & CEO of the Hospital/CEO of the Research Institute, the Executive Vice President (EVP), Quality, Research & Academics is a member of the Senior Leadership Council (SLC) of the Hospital and provides leadership, oversight and strategic direction to a diverse portfolio of health professionals and scientists in the areas of research and development, quality improvement, professional practice, patient and family centred care and academics. With the immediate goal of integrating research, professional practice, quality and academics at the hospital, the long term goal is to develop, innovate and grow in these arenas.
As the individual with expert knowledge in research, professional practice, education, quality improvement and clinical safety, the successful incumbent will nurture a sense of urgency, cultural commitment, and enthusiasm around the concepts of discovery, continuous quality improvement, innovation and learning. Building on the passion, commitment of staff, physicians, scientists and volunteers, the EVP leads a division dedicated to the development of an academic health sciences organization that fosters discovery, next‑practice, learning, and exceeding legislative and accreditation requirements.
As a natural progressive thinker, the incumbent provides leadership for the overall scientific, quality improvement and academic mission of the Institute and the Hospital.
To assure integration of education and research activities in the Hospital, the Institute, (NOSM) and Lakehead University, the EVP provides strategic direction in corporate visioning, planning, service excellence, and human organizational development. The EVP assumes the primary oversight for education and other scholarly inter‑professional activities while fostering an environment of creative collaboration with key partners that promote the academic and scientific mission of the Hospital and the Institute.
The EVP is responsible and oversees the Hospital Division and Institute annual budgets and regularly evaluates expenditures to ensure the Division and the Institute operate within budget. The EVP seeks and develops a variety of internal and external funding sources in support of the Institute.
Education and Experience
* The ideal candidate holds a PhD degree. Exceptionally a Master's degree will be considered;
* The opportunity exists for the EVP, Research, Quality and Academics to act as the Chief Nurse Executive (CNE). Qualified applicants with a Masters or PhD in Nursing are encouraged to apply.
Working with the President & CEO and the Boards of Directors, the incumbent must be experienced and adept at strategic planning, development and implementation, appearing before Boards, Councils and Committees to present and defend complex issues. The skills required have been gained through progressive work experience in:
* A minimum of 10 years in healthcare with a diversified background that includes clinical or applied research, and experience in healthcare quality and professional practice and a demonstrated track record in progressive leadership roles;
* Expertise in assessing health care trends and emerging health care innovations to develop novel, practical approaches for delivering and improving care;
* Experience in launching and growing novel health care quality improvement ideas and initiatives with a proven record of driving sustainable change and growth;
* Effective, demonstrated leadership in advancing Patient and Family Centred Care and professional practice in a progressive environment;
* Outstanding credentials in research or academic leadership.
* A strategic, systems thinker with experience leading large scale quality improvement initiatives and transforming concepts into research designs;
* working with researchers, funding agencies and representatives from all levels of government, academia and the community;
* sourcing, recruiting and managing research and academic professionals;
* coordinating, facilitating, and advocating for collaborative research projects;
* program and policy development;
* communications and public relations.
Desirable Skills and Abilities
* Expertise in change management, quality, safety and continuous quality improvement;
* Proven leadership skills to establish broad scale, longer‑term objectives, goals, or projects, to initiate, develop, and successfully implement programs, within changing priorities, and across multiple program;
* Advanced conceptualization skills to identify opportunities or initiatives, and ability to think creatively to allow for idea integration into project plans;
* Persuasive advocacy and negotiation skills combined with the ability to influence key stakeholders, staff at all levels, representatives of other hospitals and research institutes, volunteers, and potential donors, as well as to secure funding;
* Ability to drive financial improvements through alternate service delivery options and to differentiate the organization by identifying unique opportunities to meet community expectations and achieve positive outcomes;
* Proven ability to build strong coalitions with key leaders including physicians and to develop a network of local, regional, provincial and national relations in the healthcare community, including professional associations, to identify opportunities and seek input to achieve strategic goals;
* Skilled at mentoring, teaching and coaching with a demonstrated commitment to learning, research and knowledge transfer;
* Demonstrated performance as an independent investigator and researcher with ability to secure external funding awards for research projects, staff and infrastructure;
* Skilled at conflict resolution, at dealing constructively with criticism, seeking support when needed, and at preventing systemic discrimination;
* Understanding of group interactions to move a specific agenda;
* Demonstrated record of results achievements;
* Fostering a learning environment where mistakes are considered learning opportunities;
* Experienced at providing clear expectations and accountabilities, at intervening swiftly and consistently when organizational performance is slipping, developing and respectfully challenging others in power to establish the truth or achieve goals;
* Entrepreneurial mindset and experience driving innovation and growth in a health care environment.
Incumbent must be a persuasive speaker and presenter, with the ability to speak, lecture, write and read in English;
French language skill is considered an asset.
Incumbent has ability to comfortably use Microsoft Office computer applications.
Incumbent must be available to travel internationally, nationally and provincially.