Anticipated Start Date November 2019
Reporting to Vice President of his/her portfolio, the Program Director is a corporate clinical program leader who works in partnership with a Medical Director to lead a specific clinical program. The Program Director has accountability for the development, management, evaluation and continuous improvement of quality patient care services.
The Program Director of Diagnostic & Laboratory Services has overall accountability for Diagnostic & Laboratory Services across all four sites of Quinte Health Care. Diagnostic Services encompasses Diagnostic Imaging, Nuclear Medicine, OBSP, Laboratory Services, Cardiopulmonary Services and Infection Control. The Director is responsible with the assistance of clinical managers for the supervision of 180 FT (e) employees. The incumbent oversees projects within the portfolio while utilizing a continuous improvement orientation. The program director also oversees technology purchases and imaging informatics; has accountability for operating and capital budget development and ongoing fiscal outcomes; provides mentorship to the team and cultivates a customer service approach with management and front line staff in Diagnostic Services.
The Program Director provides leadership to a multi-disciplinary team of professionals within the program, fostering an environment of learning and individual growth. Other key responsibilities include the development of short and long term goals and objectives for the program and implementing corporate goals in conjunction with QHC strategic priorities and standards of care.
Required (Qualifications and Education Requirements)
· Masters prepared in requisite field or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a requisite field;
· Certificate of Registration in good standing from the healthcare regulatory college representing their profession (e.g. CMLTO, CAMRT)
· Minimum of 4-5 years of progressive management experience;
· 3-5 years’ clinical experience relevant to the Program;
· Demonstrated clinical and administrative skills and leadership;
· Superior verbal and written communication skills;
· Demonstrated critical/strategic thinking skills;
· Proven ability & experience in managing quality, risk and utilization;
· Well-developed negotiation and conflict management/resolution skills;
· Broad knowledge of overall hospital structure, operating policies/procedures and decision making processes;
· Effective process improvement and change management skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong orientation to staff and team growth and development; and
· Ability to create a collaborative multidisciplinary working environment which fosters high morale and effective staff relationships and participation.
· Achieving Results: Collaboration, ability to influence, organizational awareness, results orientation, service and quality orientation;
· Leading Effectively: developing others, holding self and others accountable, visionary leadership;
· Thinking Critically: business acumen, strategic orientation; and
· Personal Effectiveness: interpersonal sensitivity, leadership presence.
Fiscal Resource Management
· Develops and recommends the annual operating and capital budget for the program;
· Reviews the monthly financial and statistical reports and determines the appropriate actions. Responsible for the delivery of services within approved budget; and
· Collaborates with peers and corporate staff and medical leadership as necessary in the development of capital budget requests.
Duties (Role and Responsibilities)
· Plans, directs and executes the overall administrative and technical operation of Diagnostic & Laboratory Services.
· Works closely with the Medical Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory Medicine to further goals and objectives for the Diagnostic Services program.
· Sits on various regional committees to help to facilitate the implementation of regional Diagnostic Imaging and Laboratory initiatives.
· Prepares operational and capital budgets for Diagnostic & Laboratory Services.
· Utilizes benchmarking and other tools to ensure efficient and effective high quality services are provided.
· Accountable for meeting corporate and other provincial performance expectations such as wait times.
· In concert with Capital Projects, participates in master and functional planning as required.
· Prepares Requests for Proposals; evaluate capital equipment, supplies and purchases including the installation of or introduction of new products, procedures and equipment.
· Liaises with regional partners in respect of equipment procurement, imaging informatics, development of monitoring indicators, succession planning, staff retention and recruitment, staff education and communications.
· Has responsibility to work in concert with Information Systems towards the common goal of the EHR (Electronic Health Record) and to further development of the hospital information system.
· Has overall responsibility to ensure appropriate policies and procedures are in place and are revised on an ongoing basis.
· Responsible for performance development of direct reports and ensures that all performance appraisals on staff are completed on an annual basis.
· Ensures that departmental workflows are evaluated and updated regularly.
· Ensures human resource needs for the portfolio are met using appropriate recruitment, succession planning and related staff planning tools.
· Provides feedback to program medical chiefs regarding physician performance and related evaluations.
· Mentors and supports the customer service initiative across Laboratory and Diagnostics.
· Directs, thorough investigation and resolution of patient complaints, adverse events and patient and staff incidents.
· Develops and monitors appropriate Quality Assurance activities.
· Fosters a team approach to the delivery of Laboratory and Diagnostic Services across QHC.
· Fosters a healthy workplace focus and ensures staff safety working in collaboration with Occupational Health and Safety.
· Participates on QHC specific and external committees as required.
· Ensures that Diagnostic Services complies with the various Acts and Regulations that govern the delivery of patient care.
· Assists with and promotes good community relations as required.
· Provides overall guidance to ensure development of and the ongoing maintenance of information systems and imaging informatics and other related systems.
· Provides visionary leadership to Laboratory and Diagnostics Services.
· Works with peers within the management structure of Quinte Health Care to enable the QHC strategic plan and supports the vision, mission and values of Quinte Health Care.
· Other duties as assigned from time to time.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all interested candidates for their response, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Our Recruitment process follows the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act in order to provide a fair and equitable process for all candidates. Applicants requiring accommodation through the recruitment/interview process are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Department at 613-969-7400 x2577 for assistance.
Quinte Health Care (QHC), located in south/central Ontario, is an integrated system of hospitals working with our partners to provide exceptional care. Our four hospitals: Belleville General Hospital, Trenton Memorial Hospital, Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital and North Hastings Hospital, offer high-quality, comprehensive health services to nearly 200,000 people throughout the region.
With fantastic restaurants, a thriving arts and culture scene, and more than 40 wineries, the Quinte region is an excellent place to live. The array of parks, picturesque beaches, golf courses, and waterfront trails, provide plenty of opportunity for outdoor adventure. This dynamic, growing community offers affordable housing in both urban and rural settings and is an easy commute to larger centres such as Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa and Montreal. Visit www.bayofquinte.ca to learn more about the region.
QHC’s vision is to provide exceptional and compassionate care and to be valued by our communities and inspired by the people we serve. We strive to enhance the quality and safety of care, create an exceptional safety experience, provide effective care transitions, and be an exceptional workplace. In applying to any of our careers, all candidates will promote a safe environment by informing their manager of any relevant issues related to patients, families or staff and maintain a focus on patient and staff safety in all aspects of duties performed.