Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) is an award-winning hospital and one of Toronto's best-kept secrets. As Ontario’s leading community teaching hospital, MGH has proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural community of east Toronto since 1929 and is known for its friendliness and sense of community within Canada's largest city. Recognized as a leader in workplace wellness and offering a quality work environment focused on learning and development, MGH invests in people to meet their professional goals and to reach their personal best.
We have an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as a
Director, Mental Health & Addictions
We are currently searching for an experienced Clinical Director to provide critical leadership to the Mental Health and Addictions program at the Michael Garron Hospital, in a joint role that helps to advance service across the Toronto East Health Network and East Toronto region.
The hospital has a significant change journey ahead to advance its mental health and addictions services, redefine its role in serving the broader East Toronto community, and better shape how it works in an integrated care delivery model with is community partners. Working closely with the Medical Director and Chief of Psychiatry, the Mental Health and Addictions Director should have extensive experience in the development, implementation and monitoring of hospital-based mental health and addictions services, insight into developing collaborative partnerships at the local and regional level for community-based services, and experience in working across organization boundaries to help shape integrated services for the hospital and community of East Toronto. This role is ideal for qualified healthcare professionals with a strong background in operational planning and policy implementation, experience working in team settings to enhance the interdisciplinary approach to service delivery procedures, and agility in working across hospital and community settings.
Michael Garron Hospital is recruiting a joint Mental Health and Addictions Director role, who will have joint reporting to the Vice President Programs at the hospital, the Vice President, Community Care at WoodGreen Community Services, and Director, Programs and Services at South Riverdale Community Health Centre. The vision for this joint role is to create shared leadership, accountability, care pathways and service to the East Toronto community across our partner organizations.
In the first year, the expectation is this role will focus approximately 3 days/week on hospital mental health and addictions programs and 2 days/week on broader strategy and integration work across the East Toronto network; the amount of time spent across the hospital and community partners will vary over time, based on shared priorities.
The Director, Mental Health and Addictions (MHA) will report to the leadership of the Vice President, Programs at Michael Garron Hospital, the Vice President, Community Care at WoodGreen Community Services, and Director, Programs and Services at South Riverdale Community Health Centre. Working in collaboration with the Medical Director and Chief of Psychiatry at the hospital, the Director is accountable for the clinical, technical, educational, human resource, financial, and other activities associated with the functioning of the hospitals Mental Health and Addictions Program, and the overall quality of care and services provided. The Director is responsible for developing and promoting the program's vision, goals and objectives in alignment with the hospital's mission, vision, strategic direction and accountability framework. The Director ensures excellence in patient care and service delivery to a patient population through continuous quality improvement processes.
In addition, the Director is responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of collaborative partnerships at the local and regional level for community-based mental health and addictions services, guiding the strategy and policy implementation for integrated services across the hospital and community partners of East Toronto.
- Masters’ Degree in relevant profession required (or evidence of working towards a Masters’ Degree which will be completed within two years of appointment to the position).
- Current registration with professional college/association if applicable.
- Minimum of ten (10) years recent relevant management experience in related field required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish team-based approach to decision-making and to move decision-making to the point of service.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of process re-design and continuous quality improvement techniques required.
- Self-directed, courageous and highly motivated with the ability to influence and achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to lead coach and motivate others in practice innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare, monitor, analyze and evaluate operational and capital budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the vision of hospital and community integrated Mental Health and Addictions programming.
- Demonstrated behaviours that support the hospital’s core values of Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability is required.
- Proven success in business development and growth and able to manage competing demands in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to establish trusting and meaningful relationships with internal and external stakeholders is required.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication (oral & written) skills required.
- In collaboration with the Medical Directors, be responsible for the accountabilities reflected in the MGH Accountability Framework.
- Exceptional conflict management and negotiation skills with the ability to utilize emotional intelligence to demonstrate sensitivity and compassion in emotionally charged situations.
- Computer proficiency in administrative programs and clinical programs required.
- Good work and attendance record required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
If you are ready to join MGH, please email your resume & application form indicating “IPMHP1903 – Director, Mental Health & Addictions” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Our diverse staff is our most valued resource.
Compassion, Integrity, Courage and Accountability are the values that set Michael Garron Hospital apart
We have proudly served the diverse, multi-cultural population of East Toronto since 1929, offering an extensive range of inpatient, outpatient and community-based programs and services delivered by more than 2,500 employees and 400 physicians and midwives.
Conveniently located near Coxwell subway station and with easy access to the Don Valley Parkway and Gardiner Expressway, MGH offers a strong sense of community and an admired workplace culture where our people come first.
We’re growing! By 2021, MGH will celebrate the opening of our new eight storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre. This transformational project will forever change the hospital and the care it provides to our community.
Join us for an inspiring and rewarding career in healthcare!