Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN). As an RN, you will provide specialized care to patients with complex mental illnesses by using a recovery focused model of care, built upon compassion, inspiration and hope. To be an active and equal member of the interprofessional team.
The assignment is in a new, 20 bed inpatient unit within the Geriatric and Neuropsychiatry Program. This unit will provide specialized services for older adults with dementia, presenting with complex behaviours, who are currently in an acute care hospital and require specialized mental health care treatment. This unit will provide assessment, stabilization, treatment and management of dementia-related behaviours with the goal of community reintegration. The goal of treatment will be to stabilize patients so that they can successfully transition to long-term care or the referring organization.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is for the GNP, all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patient needs dictate.
Qualifications Required and Preferred
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support required
• CPR – Level HCP
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Implements and models the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery Champion
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
• Must be able to work shifts.
• BScN preferred.
• It is highly encouraged that staff complete the CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health and/or Gerontological Nursing within five years of hire date
• CNA certification in psychiatric/mental health nursing an asset.
• Recent psychiatric nursing and/or seniors experience in a mental health facility, long term care facility or service is preferred.
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language is an asset.